- 1 tbsp oil (of your choice)
- 1 large onion , halved and sliced
- 2 large carrots (500g/1lb 2oz in total), cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. thyme chopped or mixed herbs
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 410g can mixed beans
- 950g sweet potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 25g vegan margarine
- 85g vegan cheddar, grated (I used Violife)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add onion until softened.. Add the carrots and majority of Thyme or mixed herbs. Pour in 300ml (check – how much wine?)water and the tomatoes, then sprinkle in the stock cubes and simmer for 10 mins. Rinse can of beans thoroughly, add then cover and simmer for another 10 mins until the carrots still have a bit of bite.
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for 15 mins until tender, drain well, then mash with the margarine and season to taste. Pile the bean mixture into a pie dish, spoon the mash on top, then sprinkle over the vegan cheese and remaining thyme or herbs.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Cook for 20 mins if cooking straight away, or for 40 mins from chilled, until golden and heated all the way through. Serve with broccoli or a large mixed salad.
Thanks for reading.
London Vegan Bird.